Presented by the Canadian Wildlife Federation and Olympic Gold Medalist Adam Kreek
- Saturday, March 10, 2012
- 1 – 5 pm
- Songhees Park in the Inner Harbour
- 45 Songhees Road Victoria, BC
The Victoria Paddle Festival is a celebration of adventure, science, and education supporting OAR Northwest education programs and April’s record-breaking expedition around Vancouver Island. The free event aims to get kids and adults out on the water, while raising funds for an ocean rowing expedition team voyaging around Vancouver Island this April.
“Join me for adventures in human-powered boats! I wish to share my passion for the water and marine conservation by providing opportunities for the public to get outdoors exploring Victoria’s waterways.
– Adam Kreek, Olympic Gold Medalist –
The festival features:
- The opportunity to get out on the water in human-powered crafts like kayaks, canoes and rowboats, provided by Victoria’s finest boat and marine shops
- The chance to try indoor rowing machines and nautical gear
- A special sneak peek at OAR Northwest’s tricked out expedition craft – the world’s most technologically advanced ocean rowboat
- Shore-based family activities such as the Silly Model Boat Contest
- Sing-alongs to sea shanties performed by local musicians
- Your chance to meet extreme and accomplished ocean rowers, such as Jordan Hanssen. He captained a team that rowed across the North-Atlantic Ocean in 2006 securing Guinness World Records for the accomplishment!
- Adventures with Adam Kreek and other Olympic medalists, as they share their passion for getting outside.
The festival will encourage attendees to experience the outdoors and marine life for themselves while learning about and connecting with the Salish Sea and ocean rowing expeditions.
Sponsorship and Business Opportunities
•Sponsor the festival. Your company or corporate logo will prominently be displayed and acknowledged throughout the event.
Rent festival vendor space.
- Businesses may display and sell boats, nautical equipment, clothing, adventure gear, etc. Tents, chairs, electricity are not provided.
- Organizations and clubs may promote memberships, adventure travel, water awareness, civic dialogue, etc..
•Sponsor OAR Northwest Expedition and Education. More information is available here: http://oarnorthwest.com/sponsors/
About the CWF OAR Northwest Salish Sea Expedition: Adam Kreek, Greg Spooner, Richard Tarbill and Jordan Hanssen will circumnavigate Vancouver Island in a 29-foot ocean rowboat. During this voyage, expedition team satellite technology will help connect the craft with classrooms throughout the Pacific Northwest. Students will be able meet the rowers and climb aboard the specialized boat during school assembly programs. OAR Northwest partners with scientists to conduct research experiments underway, while students and community members following the expedition will be able to view and analyze the data. Learn more and schedule engaging school programs at OARnorthwest.com
Learn more about the title sponsor at CanadianWildlifeFederation.ca
CWF OAR Northwest Salish Sea Expedition Launchings:
April 7, Seattle Lake Union Park
April 9, Sidney Ocean Discovery Centre
April 11, Vancouver Rowing Club
Sponsorships, Vendor Booths and Volunteer Opportunities available. Details TBA.